Last Updated: October 7, 2020
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you voluntarily provide to us. For example, we collect your name, postal address, email address, phone number, and other information you provide to us when you register for a subscription, register for or attend meetings, fill out a form or survey, submit orders, sign up to receive email notices, request customer support, or submit queries or comments. If you use a paid subscription or service, purchase an item, or submit an order, our payment-processing vendor collects your payment method information.
We also collect information when you participate in any interactive features of the web sites, fill out a form, communicate with us, fill out a survey, submit queries, request customer support or otherwise communicate with us.
Information About Your Use of the Services
Automatically Collected Information
When you access or use our web sites, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log File Information.
It is standard for your Web browser to automatically send log file information to every Web site you visit including ours. That information includes the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, and the page you visited before navigating to our web site.
- Device Information
We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our web sites, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies.
We and our service providers use various technologies to collect information, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our web sites and your experience, see which areas and features of our web sites are popular and count visits. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used on our web sites or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our web sites and services. For example, we collect information about you from third parties, including but not limited to export control and restricted list verification services if your request may trigger those obligations.
USE OF INFORMATION
We use the information we collect to:
- provide, maintain, personalize and improve our web sites and services, as well as our events and operations;
- process any purchase transactions or meeting registrations;
- respond to your comments and queries and provide customer service;
- monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Web sites and services;
- personalize our web sites, services and features and to improve your experience on our web sites and services, such as providing content or features to match your registration information and making the sites or services easier to use;
- deliver your EMVCo subscription communications and other services and content you request and to send you information related to your subscriptions and services, including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- send you information about specification releases, new program benefits and features, promotions, upcoming events such as user group or vendor meetings, and other news about products and services offered by EMVCo and others we think may be of interest to you;
- link or combine it with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service;
- send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages; and
- detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of EMVCo and others.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
EMVCo’s participation programs by their nature facilitate sharing of certain limited non-sensitive information among its participants to foster program communications and deliver benefits, services and events. For example, we post lists of meeting attendees to be shared with other participants.
Except as described above, EMVCo will only share information about you with third parties as follows:
- with third party vendors, consultants and other service providers who are working on our behalf and need access to your information to carry out their work for us;
- in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or otherwise required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company. If such a transaction is completed, we will provide notice that we have transferred the information we collected to another company; and
- with your consent or at your direction.
TRANSFER OF INFORMATION TO THE U.S. AND OTHER COUNTRIES
EMVCo is based in the United States and we process and store information in the U.S. As such, we and our service providers may transfer your information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction. We will take steps to ensure that your personal data receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it.
ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR INDIVIDUALS IN EUROPE
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area, the United Kingdom (“UK”) or Switzerland, you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal data.
Legal Basis for Processing
When we process your personal data, we will only do so in the following situations:
- We need to use your personal data to perform our responsibilities under a contract with you such as processing payments for providing the EMVCo services you have requested.
- We need to use your personal data to comply with legal obligations we have such as satisfying export control list requirements.
- We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal data. For example, we may process your personal data to send you informational emails, to communicate with you about changes to our web sites and services, and to provide, secure, and improve our web sites and services.
- We have your consent to do so. When consent is the lawful basis for our processing, you may withdraw such consent at any time.
Data Subject Rights Requests
You have the right to access personal data we hold about you and to ask that your personal data be corrected, erased, or transferred. You may also have the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, you can log into your EMVCo account. Alternatively, you may contact us as indicated below.
Questions or Complaints
If you are a resident of the EEA, Switzerland, or the UK and have a concern about our processing of personal data that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data privacy authority where you reside.
Contact details for your Data Protection Authority can be found using the links below:
For individuals in the EEA: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
For individuals in the UK: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
For individuals in Switzerland: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home/the-fdpic/contact.html
- Account information. You may update, correct or delete information about you at any time by logging into your online account or by contacting us. If you wish to delete or deactivate your account, please contact us, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
- Promotional emails. You may “opt-out” of receiving promotional emails from EMVCo by following the instructions in those emails or by contacting us. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
- Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our web sites.
We store the information we collect about you for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it. We may retain certain information for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us. Alternatively, you may write to us at EMVCo, 901 Metro Center Boulevard, Mailstop M3-3D, Foster City, California, 94404, USA.