Last Updated: 5 November, 2014
We may collect information you voluntarily provide to us. For example, we may collect your name, postal address, email address, phone number, and other information when you register for a subscription or meetings, submit orders, sign up to receive email notices, or submit queries or comments. If you use a paid subscription or service or purchase an item, our payment-processing vendor collects your payment method information.
When you visit our Web sites, some information may be automatically collected, including the following:
- Log File Information. It is standard for your Web browser to automatically send log file information to every Web site you visit including ours. That information includes your computer’s or device’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, access times, operating system, browser type and language, and referring Web site addresses.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies.
We and our service providers may automatically collect certain information through the use of various technologies, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files that are stored on your hard drive or in device memory. Cookies help us to see which areas and features of our Web sites are most popular, to personalize your experience, and to remember your preferences. Web beacons, also known as gifs, are electronic images that may be used on our Web sites or in our emails to collect information, deliver cookies, count visits, compile statistics on usage and campaign effectiveness or in our emails to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect directly from you.
USE OF INFORMATION
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to
- provide, maintain and improve our Web sites and services;
- process any purchase transactions;
- respond to your comments and queries and provide customer service;
- monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Web sites and services;
- personalize our Web sites, services and features and to improve your experience on our Web sites and services, such as providing content or features to match your registration information and making the sites or services easier to use;
- deliver your EMVCo subscription communications and other services and content you request and to send you information related to your subscriptions and services, including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- send you information about specification releases, new member benefits and features, promotions, upcoming events such as user group or vendor meetings, and other news about products and services offered by EMVCo and others we think may be of interest to you; and
- link or combine it with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service.
EMVCo is based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using our Web sites or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing and transfer of information in and to the U.S. and other countries. If you are a resident of the European Union or Switzerland, please see our statement regarding adherence to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles below.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
EMVCo’s subscription membership by its nature facilitates sharing of certain limited non-sensitive information among its subscribed members to foster member communications and deliver membership benefits, services and events. For example, we may post lists of meeting attendees to be shared with other members and meeting participants.
Except as described above, EMVCo will only share information about you with third parties as follows:
- with third party vendors, consultants and other service providers who are working on our behalf and need access to your information to carry out their work for us;
- in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or otherwise required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company. If such a transaction is completed, we will provide notice that we have transferred the information we collected to another company; and
- with your consent or at your direction.
U.S.-EU and U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor
We comply with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor framework developed by the U.S. Department of Commerce (collectively, “Safe Harbor”) in connection with our processing of personal data about EU and Swiss data subjects. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view our certification, please visit www.export.gov/safeharbor.
EMVCo takes reasonable security measures to help protect information about you from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are impenetrable.
If you use a password on our Web site, you are responsible for keeping it confidential. Do not share it with any other person. If you believe your password has been misused, please advise us immediately.
- Account information. If you have created an online account, you may log in to that account to update your information. You may also contact us to request that we update, correct or delete information about you, but note that we may retain certain information about you as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
- Promotional emails. You may “opt-out” of receiving promotional emails from EMVCo by following the instructions in those emails or by contacting us. Opt-out requests will not apply to transactional service communications, including messages about your current subscriptions to EMVCo services and memberships.
- Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Web sites.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
EMVCo may change this Policy from time to time. If we make any changes to this Policy, we will change the “Last Updated” date above. If there are material changes to this policy, we will notify you more directly. We encourage you to review this Policy whenever you visit our Web sites or use our services to understand how your personal information is used.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us. Alternatively, you may write to us at 901 Metro Center Boulevard, Mailstop M3-3D, Foster City, California, 94404, USA.