EMVCo is looking to recruit a new Director of Technology. This role involves coordination of technical specification development across EMVCo’s working groups and activities related to evaluations, testing and approvals. Also central to the role is representing EMVCo in its liaison work with other technical bodies to ensure effective collaboration and industry alignment in EMVCo’s technical work.
This opportunity has arisen, as Bastien Latge, EMVCo’s current Director of Technology, has chosen to pursue a new opportunity in 2022.
The Director of Technology reports to EMVCo’s Board of Managers and works closely with the EMVCo Director of Engagement and Operations, and the EMVCo Director of Communications.
Interested candidates can find out more information about the position responsibilities and application requirements on this page.
EMVCo Director of Technology – Position Description
Position Title: EMVCo Director of Technology
Reports To: EMVCo Board of Managers
Compensation: Competitive, depending on experience
Location: Candidate may reside in any country but must reside near a major airport hub located within the country of residence
Term: Two-year contract with option to renew
Dedication: Full time
Travel: Approximately 40-45% time; candidate will be expected to travel approximately 15-18 times annually to meetings in Asia, Europe, and the Americas. All reasonable travel expenses will be paid by EMVCo in accordance with EMVCo policy.
To Apply: Qualified candidates should send a resume, employment references, and a letter detailing qualifications for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be received no later than 30 March 2022.
EMVCo is the global technical body that facilitates the worldwide interoperability and acceptance of secure payment transactions by managing and evolving the EMV® Specifications and related testing processes. Adoption of EMV Specifications and associated approval and certification processes promotes a unified international payments framework, which supports an advancing range of payment methods, technologies and acceptance environments. The specifications are designed to be flexible and can be adapted regionally to meet national payment requirements and accommodate local regulations. EMVCo is collectively owned by American Express, Discover, JCB, Mastercard, UnionPay and Visa, and more detailed information about EMVCo can be found at www.emvco.com.
EMVCo’s scope now includes ecommerce specifications (3D Secure and Secure Remote Commerce) and the technical body is continually evaluating new opportunities to further the security and interoperability of card payments (with expansion to support Elliptic Curve Cryptography and TapToMobile initiative for example). EMVCo’s Board of Managers is looking for a Director of Technology. This is an existing senior level position that enables EMVCo to realize efficiencies, meet market expectations, and evolve to meet changing industry requirements. The Director of Technology works closely with the EMVCo’s Director of Engagement and Operations, and the EMVCo Director of Communication, and balances focus between critical EMVCo priorities, including Working Group oversight and industry engagement activities (e.g., W3C, Fido Alliance, ISO, NFC Forum). The selected candidate will report to EMVCo’s Board of Managers and work also closely with EMVCo Working Groups, Secretariats, Manager of Operations, financial Secretariat and additionally engage with EMVCo’s external stakeholders. This role also represents EMVCo by speaking during external events or during the EMVCo Associates and User meetings.
This position includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Oversee, coordinate and align the Working Groups, Secretariats and Task-Forces activities to facilitate the execution of EMVCo strategy and projects as defined by the Board, including the following:
- Understand the technical and strategic issues facing the Working Groups, Type Approval Secretariats and Task Forces and provide counsel and guidance. Identify issues and communicate key findings or concerns to the Chairs and the Board, as appropriate
- Track key deliverables of the Working Groups, Type Approval Secretariats and Task Forces and work with the Chairs to ensure timely completion of deliverables aligned with the execution of EMVCo’s roadmap
- Provide regular counsel and guidance to the Chairs in cross-Working Group and Task Force activities to facilitate effective collaboration. Identify technical and strategic issues that cut across multiple groups and communicate key findings or concerns to the Chairs and the Board, as appropriate
- Provide regular Board updates to align on Working Group, Type Approval Secretariat and Task Force direction
- Perform project management of technical initiatives as required
- Manage EMVCo participation in technical industry bodies & technical communications:
- Serve as liaison with technical industry bodies as defined by the Board
- Work with the Director of Communication and external public relations firm to develop communications messaging and materials to promote EMV technologies, and assist in developing responses to external technical enquiries
- Represent and/or speak at industry events requiring technical expertise
- Facilitate EMVCo Working Group and Task Force industry engagement from a technical and strategic perspective:
- Oversee development of Working Group and Task Force technical content for twice annual EMVCo Technical Associates meetings
- Oversee development of Technical Associates topic-driven forums with identified EMVCo SMEs and project leads
- Provide continuity and consistency across all Working Groups, Type Approval Secretariats and Task Forces and ensure EMVCo processes are properly implemented, including the following:
- Work with the Working Group and Task Force Chairs to ensure correct documentation and execution of EMVCo processes related to technical specifications and testing and type approval program delivery (incl. Type Approval Secretariats oversight)
- Work with the Working Group and Task Force Chairs to provide quality control over EMV technical documentation and specifications and ensure accuracy, correctness and consistency before publication and distribution.
- Assist EMVCo’s Board of Managers and Executive Committee in shaping long-term strategy roadmap for EMVCo:
- Attend upon request EMVCo’s Board and Executive Committee meetings and conference calls
- Assist in defining EMVCo’s strategic roadmap and translating this roadmap into actionable activity for each of EMVCo’s Working Groups, Type Approval Secretariats and Task Forces
- Execute strategic work items to achieve EMVCo business goals as assigned by the Board and Executive Committee from time to time
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree in engineering or science required;
- Minimum of 10 years experience in the payments industry including a senior technical managerial role with proven leadership ability
- Understanding of the following: EMV-based smart cards and acceptance terminals, mobile payment and acceptance, QR Code payment, tokenization and on-line authentication programs (e.g. 3D Secure) and Secure Remote Commerce; strong technical background in at least one of these areas required
- Knowledge of EMVCo, technology, certification processes, technical bodies, payment industry trends, and payment industry participants
- Understanding of EMVCo technical specifications and testing and evaluation processes
- Fluency and excellence in both written and verbal English; fluency in one or more other languages is a plus
- Ability to manage multiple work items and maintain aggressive deadlines
- Proven meeting facilitation skills and the ability to remain neutral while working with diverse stakeholders
- Proven ability to deliver technical presentations and facilitate discussions with industry experts and technical SMEs to obtain the input required.
- Engineering background involving experience in the field of smart cards, Acceptance terminals, mobile payments and acceptance, e-commerce; and experience in Standardization Body/Consortium participation strongly preferred
EMVCo is an equal opportunity entity. Contracting and staffing decisions are made without regard to race, ancestry, color, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, political affiliation, marital status, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with all applicable laws.
EMVCo is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.